One of the main things I get asked about when I mention I'm a dentist, is teeth whitening. We all see our favourite hollywood actors with striking white smiles and then feel the urge to improve our own smiles just a little. Even I'm a victim of this. Over time our teeth can become discoloured due to a range of factors such as ageing, tea, coffee, red wine, some medications and smoking. Teeth whitening is an easy way to transform aged and discoloured teeth into a brighter, healthier looking smile.
How does teeth whitening work?
Teeth whitening carried out by your dentist is the safest and most effective way to have your teeth whitened. We will use professional whitening products that have been properly tested and found to be safe. These professional whitening products contain different concentrations of carbamide peroxide. The peroxide agent penetrates the outside layer of the tooth (the enamel) and breaks down stain deposits in the second layer of the tooth (the dentine).
So is teeth whitening safe?
When teeth whitening is performed by your dentist it is a safe and effective treatment with very few side effects. The main side effect is sensitivity which generally only lasts 24 hours and can be managed by your dentist. Other side effects that can occur especially if not carried out by a dentist, are inflamed and irritated gums, blistering and teeth with uneven colour. Is teeth whitening suitable for everyone? No, unfortunately not everyone is suitable for teeth whitening. It is important that your dentist assess you prior to having this treatment performed.
What are the types of whitening?
At Terrigal Beach Dental we offer the 2 types of whitening:
1. Take-Home Whitening
This involves one of our dentists taking impressions of your teeth and then having specialised custom trays made for you. You’ll be given professional whitening gel and instructions on how to use it.
The benefits of home whitening include:
- Reduced sensitivity - you can whiten you teeth over a longer period of time to reduce the chance of sensitivity
- More control over the brightness of your teeth - you can whiten your teeth to the shade that you are happy with
- Allows for ongoing maintenance - you can maintain your white teeth by using your trays and gel whenever you notice your teeth begin to darken again
2. In-Chair Whitening
In-Chair whitening usually involves an hour long appointment. This includes a quick clean and polish of your teeth to prepare them for the whitening process. We will then cover your lips and gums to protect them from the stronger whitening gel. The gel is then applied 3 times for 8 minutes each time.
We will also provide you with a complimentary take-home whitening kit including customised trays to allow you to maintain your new bright smile.
The benefits of In-Chair Whitening:
- Immediate results - you will walk out with whiter teeth
- The whitening process is carried out by a trained dentist
- Also allows for ongoing maintenance - with the complimentary home-care kit you can easily ‘top up’ your the brightness of your smile
To launch our new website and our new name, Terrigal Beach Dental have a special offer on teeth whitening:
- Take-Home Whitening is $440
- In-Chair Whitening is $795
Contact our team at Terrigal Beach Dental on 43 844 955 for an appointment or visit www.terrigalbeachdental.com.au
Dr Nick Wilding
Before / After Teeth Whitening