Root Canal Treatment - Central Coast
Root canal treatment is required when a tooth is infected on the inside. This treatment, also known as endodontic treatment, is a process whereby inflamed or dead pulp is removed from the inside of the tooth, enabling a tooth that was causing pain to be retained.
SYMPTOMS OF ROOT CANAL DISEASE
- Sensitivity to hot and cold
- Pain when biting and chewing
- Facial swelling
- Swelling around the gum
- Oozing of pus around the affected tooth
The tooth pulp can become infected from various factors including decay, gum disease and injury, which can kill blood vessels and nerves supplying the tooth. Dying and infected nerves can cause a lot of pain if not treated.
ROOT CANAL PROCEDURE
Our experienced dentists will ensure every possible step is taken to make you feel relaxed and comfortable throughout the procedure.
The procedure may require multiple visits.
- Anaesthesia is used to keep the patient comfortable throughout the procedure.
- To access the interior of the tooth, a small opening is created.
- Irrigation and specialist tools are used to clear the root canal of inflamed and infected pulp.
- A medication is placed in the tooth to treat the infection and remove any remaining bacteria
- When all the pulp is removed and the infection has cleared the canal is filled and sealed and a filling is placed in the opening.
- A crown or ceramic onlay may be needed to protect the tooth.
If you are experiencing any of the signs of root canal disease or would like to know more about root canal on the Central Coast please contact us to set up an examination. Quick treatment increases the likelihood that your tooth can be saved and reduces the chance that any infection in your tooth will spread.